Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Jumping Off the Cliff of Life

I kid you not.....

(Not so) little old man in wheelchair is in the office today for his stress test. Due to the fact that he is not able to walk the treadmill, he has had a chemically-induced stress test. So he hasn't had anything to eat since 7am. Now that his "stress" portion is over, he can eat something.

Daughter: "So, Dad, what would you like for lunch?"

Little Old Man: "Oh... can you run over to McDonalds and get me a double cheeseburger and fries?"

I just want to point out that it takes friggin' balls of pure, unadulterated steel to order this kind of lunch in a cardiology office. It's kind of like setting up the grand altar of Satan in the nave of the Catholic church, don't you think?

I hope he's not too surprized when his results come back and show that he needs a heart cath.

PS--Because I'm THAT good of a front office person, I explain to the patients when they schedule that they'll have a 6 hour fast prior to their test and that generally it takes 2-3 hours to complete. I further explain that should this seem like too long to go without eating, they may bring a snack to tide them over. Usually, people bring peanut butter/crackers.

I think that they're afraid of the lightning bolt that will hit them should they think of bringing anything else.

1 comment:

fin said...

holy cats
some people really are JUST that nutty, aren't they?

i just watched supersize me last night.

yikes.
makes me seriously reconsider that "oh, I'll just get something on the way" moment.