Thursday, July 12, 2007

24 Hours from Now

24 hours from now (if everything goes right and the cats aren't being too needy) I will be waking up and leisurely getting into the shower.

I'm actually taking a day off for the sake of taking time off.

This goes against EVERYTHING my parents EVER taught me about being a responsible, working adult. I know that they meant well and that they felt it was important to impress upon me their proud, German work ethic, but let me tell you --all work and no play makes Jill a friggin' bitch to hang around!

It's my own dang fault, I guess.

I get paid vacation and sick time, but I'm always scared to use it. I mean, what if I'm in a horrible accident and need to take 3 weeks off of work? Sure, short-term disability will kick in after 2 weeks, but what if I use up all of my paid time off on something frivolous first? I can't go two weeks without a paycheck.

So I go to work every day, get my 40 hours + every week and slowly my patience and sanity ebb away....

...but not this week!

Which is a good thing because opening night for the play I'm in is also tomorrow. (See how the day off and my personal life cross there?)

I mean, I need to rest up for the cast parties.

Priorities, people!

4 comments:

Kimba said...

Good for you! I could use a personal (i.e. no kids or hubby) day, but alas, such is my fate. Break a Leg! As always, I wish I could be there!

fin said...

i'm out of days off.
i am your fear.

actually, i'm not exactly out of days off, I have them planned against tho - -
the 26th is Mr Smif's company picnic - half day
the day after thanksgiving we'll be in TN, full vacation day
christmas week (apart from the work from home wednesday) I "need" to be home so that's all gone too - - 3 days burnt.
i think i have a day and half left of vacation time. i'm nursing it.
like a good drink.

still - i'm glad you took your time off. it's well worth it.

break only your virtual leg, though. would hate for you to have to eat up all your vacation time until the long term leave kix in.

Kimba said...

So....how did it go???? (you really need to be better about this writing thing! teehee)

Anonymous said...

Tell us how it went!