Thursday, August 16, 2007

Settling.....

I swear to God that's the story of my life. Settling. I want the best, but I settle for what I can afford.

Case in point....
The home computer died the other month. Hubbie and I decided that we were tired of Microsoft and wanted to get an operating system that wasn't so retarded. We wanted a Mac. We saved our money, we hoped, we dreamed.....

Then the water pump went out on the old car (Sherwood). Since Pip will need this to get to and from school (occasionally -- sometimes Hubbie needs it to drive into work), we needed to get it fixed. (($457))

Followed by the State of Ohio letting us know that we'd figured our taxes wrong and needed to cut them a check by the 20th for $89.

There went everything we'd saved for the new computer.

So we settled. We went to Best Buy and bought the cheapest thing we could find. I'm sure that the technology in it is long outdated, but at least it has that new, "Vista" operating system.

In case you're curious -- it sucks.

But now I can pay my bills and balance my checkbook at home again. I suppose that that's a plus.

I don't mean to sound whiny or spoiled. We have a roof over our heads, we eat 3 meals a day (not provided by the government), and from time to time we are actually able to go out and have a little fun. I'm just getting SO friggin' tired of having to settle for second best! (...or third... or that stupid Vista thing...)

We're back to saving for the Mac again, but it's a lot harder when Pip is with us. Especially since the Senior Portrait Industry is just NOT set up for shared children. (Seriously! It's cheaper for each household to buy their own package than it is to split a larger one since they don't allow you to substitute another friggin' 8 x 10 for a useless set of wallets!)

I don't suppose that I could get Pip to settle for a nice picture taken with my cell phone?

5 comments:

Kimba said...

ugh. I feel this way all the time too. We deserve the best damn it! If only...*sigh*
Yeah, school pictures in general are stupidly packaged & priced, but senior pics are REALLY outrageous!

Kimmer said...

Since the three places I've called don't allow you to substitute sheets, the lowest cost package (for the photo sizes we'd need) is $750! It makes more sense to order one $300 package for us and another $300 package for Jen!

Anonymous said...

Me too. Me too.

I think I am going to open a secret bank account that i don't know exists in which money I don't have can accumulate and never be used...until one day I will remember it and buy a house. HA!

fin said...

I'm all about the invisible account. Not sure how to manage it, but still, it's a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Okay, it is clearly time for you to update with a new post...I'm just sayin'...